Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life – and travel – leave marks on you. Most of the time, those marks – on your body or on your heart – are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.Anthony Bourdain
Hello lovely followers, casual readers, and newcomers! This post is a little bit different, but don’t worry. There are lots of good updates here. I started this blog several years ago and never once thought I would have 10 followers much less 300. I wanted to create my own corner of the internet where I could share my experiences, thoughts, and tips I’ve learned and am learning as I go through life and travel.
As a strong believer in opening yourself up for change even if it scares you, I believe challenges are an essential part of life and especially travel. Change is usually a good thing and it means you’re growing. During lockdown it was impossible to travel so I vowed to travel through whatever book I was reading. Then one day, as I was settling into my couch for more reading, I got an idea.
That idea kept nagging at me. I’m one of those people who often have grandiose ideas and then get scared to follow through because what if I failed or what if people didn’t like it? This time felt different. Six months after getting my idea and it STILL wouldn’t leave me brain alone, I knew I had to take the leap.
My big announcement? I’m starting a new business centered around my passion for travel and reading. My tiny, one-woman company is called Curious Artifact and will be a new and adventurous take on book subscription boxes.
Wait, wait, wait. It’s cool you’re starting a business, but what does that have to do with this blog? SO glad you asked. This site is where I want that box to live, so there will be a few changes you might notice. Check them out:
- My website name is going to change to CuriousArtifact.com BUT Do Sharks Have British Accents will absolutely still be the name of the travel blog section.
- I’m adding a shop section and just giving my page an overall update and makeover.
I’m still posting weekly, maybe more (!!!), travel or book posts so don’t worry your wonderful heads. There’s no way I would ever stop posting about books and travel. You just might get more now! I’m hoping if you’ve read this far then you’re like “okay, phew! I’m excited!”
Now that we’ve got the changes out of the way and you won’t look at my page in the coming weeks and be completely blindsided, I am so excited to share what my subscription box is all about!
I subscribe to a few book boxes and I really enjoy them, but I feel like I’m always left wanting more than just a book and a bookmark.
My boxes will have a travel theme each month. Each book I select will fit that theme and destination. What I really want is to create an experience and have readers full engaged in the adventure of the book itself and how they can experience events in the book by traveling locally wherever they are in the world.
How the heck am I going to do that? I don’t want to fully give away the surprises, but here are a few things you can always expect in each box!
- One used book in great condition (trying to be more sustainable here!
- Plan on choosing between two types of fiction and one non-fiction genre each month
- A bookmark designed by yours truly that will reflect the theme or destination each month
- A postcard with my travel photography or artwork for you to send someone
- 1 scavenger hunt where you’ll hunt for items and participate in activities that occurred in the books
- 1 monthly challenge where you’ll be entered into a giveaway if you complete it
- Newsletter with information about upcoming books/themes, travel tips, relevant blog posts, book reviews, etc.
- One mystery item that will also tie in experiences from the book and get you excited about travel
- One example I have is a sample packet of spices and a recipe from a local shop near me so you can make the same recipe from the book.
I’m planning to launch in October with a Trick or Treat theme! There will be a fiction thriller option that will make you want to sleep with the lights on. There will be a hilariously fun fiction read featuring a murder that’s more treat than trick. There will also be a non-fiction option!
This process hasn’t been easy so far, but it’s been ridiculously rewarding and I’m only just getting started. I have days where I’m jumping out of bed and can’t wait to start working. I have days like today where I’m scared to even talk about it and am feeling bummed because WHAT IF it fails or isn’t as cool as I have pictured in my head?
All of that is normal and comes with starting a small business on my own. I hope you’re excited and ready to hear more about it. If not, totally fine! You’ll still get tons of great travel and book content just like you’re used to. Those are all of the updates I have for you this week. Look out for a SUPER fun post challenge from one of my favorite travel bloggers The Travel Architect.